Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Redo Part Deux


When you live in a house for over 28 years and that house is already 76 years old and you've renovated the entire house once...


it's time to start over. When pulling up the old carpet, I had totally forgotten, not even a smidgen of remembrance, of putting plywood down before the carpet went in 15 years ago. When Garrett was here the other day he reminded me that I had given them bright paint and said, "Go at it!" I think they were pretty reserved actually.


I painted this room last week, so I wouldn't have to worry about messing up our new carpet.


I kind of liked this closet 28 years ago and decided to leave it alone. That old timey wallpaper, faded and stained, had once been chosen by someone who cared for this house.


But it was time for it to go. All the furniture from the one room had to be moved to the other bedroom so both rooms were trashed.


But now the room is put back together and I'm about to start on the other room.


But it's not enough to just mess up the upstairs, we've finally started into the total gutting of our downstairs bath. That is the very first room we redid perhaps because it was the absolute worst room. We could see through the floor to the basement and the room was very tiny. I remember Garrett was around 2, Houston was at work and I took a sledge hammer to the wall between our bedroom and the bathroom. Garrett said I was gonna be in BIG trouble when Dad got home!


This vanity is an antique washstand that we converted. I did a mosaic on the counter top, using some of my granny's dishes that I had accidentally broken. This vanity doesn't look that bad in the photo, but it's really kinda icky now.


Houston and I went a-lookin' at fixtures, sinks, tubs and the like last week. Starting demo without a plan of how you want the bathroom to look, is really stupid so we had to go out and get some ideas, or narrow down the too many options. We found the sink we want. Purdy!


We really liked this one too, along with the industrial vanity, but thought it just a bit too stark. Although, isn't it just sleek and clean? Great for a loft space.


This might be our vanity, but not with that top. I found some Silestone that's 35% recycled glass and pieces of mirror that would make a fab top.


This is a side transom window that came from a front door surround. It lets in some light but we need to tile up to the ceiling so is has to go. We have our work cut out for us, literally. We have to cut through the 'poop pipe' as we call it, that old, heavy cast iron so we can move the vanity where the toilet is and the toilet where the vanity is. Can we just make up our minds?!!! Gotta go demo.

No comments: