Monday, March 07, 2011

Something Smells


Doesn't Trapper look all sweet and innocent?


Just lying down taking it easy on his big old pillow bed...


soaking up the sun's rays. But a few weeks ago....

...THIS happened! Pheweeeee! We were out for a walk and he came barreling out of the woods with his head shaking, whimpering and running quickly towards to show us what had happened to him. Before he even got close I could tell what had happened. Damn! I hate that wretched smell. When we got him back home, I Googled "what the hell to do when your dog gets sprayed by a skunk and you can't get rid of the dog". I know...everyone says tomato juice. I wouldn't have minded a Bloody Mary right then, but I didn't have any tomato juice and I read where that just masks the odor. What it did suggest was hydrogen peroxide, water and dish soap. I borrowed some hp from Ann, mixed the solution and Houston and I went to work. You only wash where the dog got sprayed (Trapper's neck). The soap cuts the yucky skunk oil and the hydrogen peroxide breaks down the thiols in the oil. Whatever. I just want the damn smell gone! It did pretty well, we dried him off and let him in the house because it was cold out. So, after nearly a month, when he gets wet, he STILL smells a bit like skunk. I think it's time for another bath.

No comments: