Sunday, September 30, 2007

Family and Folly



A couple weeks ago I traveled to visit my mom and brothers. First stop was Colorado Springs. We drove to the mountains and stopped by Bishop's Castle, a sort of roadside attraction. Bishop is a man with an alternative agenda who started building this castle in 1969 and has been working on it nearly daily ever since. He is very anti-government and cannot live in the castle even one day or it will be considered a home and therefore taxable.


It really is quite amazing. One can walk to the top of the turrets (signing a waiver first). Bishop has done all the welding and beautiful scroll work. The dragon even breathes fire!



Hand made signs abound.





On the way we saw this really cool totem in front of someone's cabin.


This is my adorable mom, Darlene. We saw these letters in Anthropologie (one of my fave stores!) and we didn't even arrange them like this.



My three brothers and mom enjoying some cool ones.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Great photos, and it looks like a nice vacation.

I'm glad to see that there are people like that in Colorado ... 'cause if it was in WV, where I'm originally from, everyone would just think, "Oh that's hillbillies for you ..."