Thursday, May 19, 2011

Diet Plan

I'm off on my big bike adventure from this Thursday to the end of May...10 days of biking, from Cumberland to Oberlin, Ohio. I'm riding with Tami, my friend from Alaska so all I have to do is carry about 50 pounds of my gear and keep up with her! I need to take off some of this winter fat so what better way to do it than ride for 350 miles?! We're camping along the way and she has it all mapped out. I've been crazy busy getting orders out from Sheep & Wool Fest so I've left the route planning up to her. I would occasionally think "oh yeah, I need a sleeping bag" and run to get it, then the therma rest and maybe my bike shoes so I wasn't sure if I even had everything I needed. I've been so scattered that it was hard to focus on getting all the gear together for a 10-day ride. And let's not talk about my legs and lungs, whooee!, I forgot to train for this ride. I told my legs that it'll be on the job training, so they'd better get to work and do their job! Houston (husband) and Garrett (son) are leaving Monday and doing the ride in just 5 days. They're manly and they have huge thighs to push those pedals. This is just a tiny little ride for them as they rode day after day after day from here to Oregon 5 years ago. But for me it's the longest I've ridden so I've gotta get my game on.  We'll be riding 140 miles on the Allegany Trail, a rail to trail path that I've ridden/camped twice in sections. I know how lovely this trail is so I'm looking forward to the natural beauty of it.

The hardest thing was deciding what knitting project/s I wanted to take. Small needles and a pattern that isn't too hard so I can sit around the camp and knit without furrowing my brow trying to figure out the stitches. I've decided on thigh high leg warmers. Not your typical camp knitting! Maybe I'll have them done by the time I get to Oberlin! Oops, forgot about all that biking time.

3 comments:

Andrea@That'll Do Farm said...

What a great adventure. We are 10 minutes from Oberlin. You are welcome to come camp/stay at the farm. Bring your rain gear!

Eve said...

Have a wonderful time Dalis - I am also an Oberlin alum and spent time talking to your husband at the fall fiber fest in Montpelier ... Class of 93 ...

Donna said...

We knit at The Feve in Oberlin a few times a month - we'd love to have you join us. Send me an e-mail if you have time to hang out with us.