Thursday, August 05, 2010

Catchin' Some Zzzzzzzzzzzz's


and I don't mean sleeping. Back in the day, I traveled around a bit participating in frisbee events. Maximum time aloft, accuracy, double disc court, frisbee golf and my all time favorite, freestyle. Virginia hosted this tournament way back in 1978 and to my surprise, Tami (Alaskan friend) said they are still hosting it and she wants to attend next year. And to help her do this, she is part owner in the most incredible machine....drum roll please.......The Amazzzzzzzing Z Machine!


So while in Alaska, I was fortunate enough to experience this fun-filled spinner of frisbees. You place the frisbee on to the two discs on top, choosing between counter or clock-wise spin (toggle switch), wait about 3 seconds and the frisbee spins at an incredible rotation, and you lift off the frisbee with your fingernail and freestyle away. For those of you who have never seen frisbee freestyle in action, you won't know what I'm talking about, but those of you who do, will be saying, "Where has this been all my life?!" When I was a poor hippie chick competing in this silly sport I wouldn't have been able to afford the Z Machine anyway. It goes for a tidy sum of cough $750 cough dollars! But it is totally dreamy, torquing out spin three times faster than a human can throw the zzzz's.


I could keep the disc upright and even do a few tricks...




but most of my hotdog moves that I learned back in the 70's and 80's escaped me. It was so much fun though and I wish I had one, but not so much to set me back $100's.


Tami gave it a twirl and since she's part owner (with Cade on the right), I'll expect her to be pretty darn good when spring rolls around. To see freestyle in action, click here.

1 comment:

LemonyRenee' said...

Dalis, is there anything you don't know something about?